Thank you for visiting my small website! The pages of this website is dedicated to the wonderful topic of photosynthesis. In particular, I will be discussing photosynthesis in the context of the Grade 12 Ontario Curriculum. I have outlined learning difficulties students might have with photosynthesis including misconceptions and confusing topics in the unit. As well, I have included activities, demonstrations, and resources that you are welcome to use in your own classroom when teaching photosynthesis.
In the Curriculum
In the grade 12 Ontario curriculum, photosynthesis and its mechanism is covered in SBI4U (Grade 12, Biology University preparation) under METABOLIC PROCESSES. The overall expectations are as follow:
- C1. analyze the role of metabolic processes in the functioning of biotic and abiotic systems, and evaluate the importance of an understanding of these processes and related technologies to personal choices made in everyday life;
- C2. investigate the products of metabolic processes such as cellular respiration and photosynthesis;
- C3. demonstrate an understanding of the chemical changes and energy conversions that occur in metabolic processes.
According the ministry document, the big ideas students should learn about metabolism by the end of the unit is:
- All metabolic processes involve chemical changes and energy conversions.
- An understanding of metabolic processes enables people to make informed choices with respect to a range of personal, societal, and environmental issues.